Liqueur aux fleurs de cerisier

This liqueur has a very delicate floral aroma that is best when sipped cold.  It also works well as a flavoring for fritters or crepes.

Ingredients

1.5 quarts (looslely packed) cherry blossoms
1 bay leaf
2 cloves
8 allspice berries
4 whole coriander seeds
1 strip dried orange peel
1 liter vodka (I used Kettle One)

Preparation

1. Pick over the cherry blossoms to remove any large stems or blossoms that are dried out. Put all the ingredients except the vodka, water and sugar in a 2 liter container. Add the vodka. Weight the blossoms so that they are completely submerged in the vodka. Cover the container tightly and put in a cool dark place for two weeks.
  2. Stain the vodka and discard the blossoms. Put the water and sugar in a saucepan, bring to a boil and remove from heat. Stir well, then return to heat and bring to a boil again. Cool.
  3. Combine the cooled syrup and the strained vodka. Put into a clean bottle, cork and leave in a cool, dark place for two months to mellow.
This entry was posted in Beverages and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Liqueur aux fleurs de cerisier

1. Linda M. says:

sounds intriguing! I don’t see the measurements given for the water and sugar (?)

• Jim says:

For sweetening the alcohol, I use a syrup with a 2 to 1 1 ratio of water to sugar. The amount of syrup you use depends on how sweet you like your alcohol. For an aperitif, or liqueur, I like more sweetness, for a digestif, I like less. I would start by adding syrup equal to about 1/4 of the volume of the vodka after straining, then add more to your taste.

• Linda M. says:

Thanks! Do I understand correctly? did you say a 2 to 11 ratio (!), or a 2 to 1 ratio (which is more common) ?

• Shelly says:

Hey Jim call me dumb but what kind of syrup/ or how much water and sugar to bring to boil. Im not good with the 2-1 guessing ratio We got everything BUT ? what syrup or just plain sugar and the water amounts of H20 and sugar. Thanks Jim we are prime and ready to go. Linden all picked nicely. Thanks

• Jim says:

I use organic sugar and tap water. You can also use plain white sugar or raw sugar. Remember that the darker your sugar, the more it will darken the color of the alcohol. Plain white sugar is lighter than organic sugar, but I find that the taste of organic sugar is better so the color is warranted for the better flavor.

• Jim says:

sorry 2 to 1

jd

• Linda M. says:

super! (must be roman numeral 2!) I have a big old linden tree in my back yard, and love the smell all over town in early summer, and just realized last year where it was coming from. have pegged your post and plan to try harvesting blossoms this year. fingers crossed. thanks again for your help! cheers from Atlantic Canada. (I’m north of Maine, in New Brunswick, at the head of the Bay of Fundy.)

2. Pingback: Liqueur aux fleurs de cerisier | Add More Butter